Wednesday, November 22, 2017
ABOUT US CONTACT US ADVERTISE WITH US FOLLOW US ON    
 
Kashmir Times Logo www.kashmirtimes.com
World
Girl severely injured as headphones explode after she falls asleep listening to music
ActIT Jammu, ASP.net Projects, Java, Vb.net, C# Training Jammu
Sydney, Mar 15 (Agencies): It's really a shocking incident.

In a mishap, a woman suffered burns to her face and hands after her headphones caught fire during a flight to Australia.

Officials have warned about the dangers of battery-operated devices on planes.

What happened actually?

The passenger was listening to music on her own battery-operated headphones as she dozed on the flight from Beijing to Melbourne on February 19 when there was a loud explosion.

"As I went to turn around I felt burning on my face," she told the Australian Transport Safety Bureau (ATSB) which investigated the incident.

"I just grabbed my face which caused the headphones to go around my neck. I continued to feel burning so I grabbed them off and threw them on the floor. "They were sparking and had small amounts of fire."

Flight attendants rushed to help and poured a bucket of water on the headphones, but the battery and its cover were both melted and stuck to the floor.

Pictures show the woman, who was not named, with a blackened face and neck and blisters on her hands, with passengers having to endure the smell of melted plastic, burnt electronics and burnt hair for the remainder of the flight.

"People were coughing and choking the entire way home," the woman added.

The transport safety bureau, which did not identify which airline was involved, assessed that the lithium-ion batteries in the device likely caught fire.

"As the range of products using batteries grows, the potential for in-flight issues increases," it said, reminding travellers using battery-powered devices they must be kept in an approved stowage unless in use.

Spare batteries should be kept in carry-on luggage, it added.

Airlines barred all Samsung Galaxy Note 7 smartphones

Many airlines last year barred all Samsung Galaxy Note 7 smartphones over fire risk concerns, following reports of exploding batteries.

The South Korean electronics giant recalled all its Note 7s, costing it billions of dollars.

There have been several incidents involving lithium batteries in recent years with a flight due to leave Sydney last year disembarked when smoke was seen coming from a passenger's hand luggage.

It was later found that lithium batteries had ignited.

Also last year, a personal electronic device began belching smoke then caught on fire on a Qantas flight from Los Angeles to New York, the ATSB reported.


News Updated at : Wednesday, March 15, 2017
 
Comment on this Story 

 
 
Top Stories of the Day  
Omar on Kupwara girl's killing
SRINAGAR, Mar 15: Former chief minister Omar Abdullah today said that another promising young life has been snuffed out by a stray bullet in north Kashmir’s Kupwara district. He was reacting on the death of a minor girl who police said died after being hit by a “stray bullet” near the encounter site in Kupwara. “A 6-year old girl killed on the sidelines of an encounter in North Kashmir. A "stray bullet" snuffs out another promising young life. #RIP,” tweeted Omar.
> Stone-pelting case against Gulzar Peer: Court defers order on bail plea
> Farooq, G A Mir will contest from Srinagar, Anantnag
> Parliament by-elections: BJP waiting for high command directive
> Resume Cross-LoC trade, CM to Rajnath
> ECI announces poll for 6 LC seats
 
 
Other Stories from Web  
 
 
 
Find us on
 
 
Weather Report
 
Shridev Sharma
 
Mata Vaishnodevi | Matavaishnodevi | Mata Vaishno Devi
 
Electric Blanket | Electric Bed Warmers | Electric Under Blankets | Electric Heating Blanket
 
 
 
Web Design Jammu, Web Design Company, Ideogram Jammu
 
 
Home | Contact Us | Kashmir Times | Kashmir Times E-Paper - Jammu | Kashmir Times E-Paper - Srinagar | Dainik Kashmir Times | Jammu Prabhat
Copyright 2013 Kashmir Times Group. All rights reserved. Powered by Ideogram Technology Solutions Pvt. Ltd.