Wednesday, September 19, 2018
Kashmir Times Logo
800 days later, Sreejith ends protest demanding justice for his brother after statement to CBI
ActIT Jammu, Projects, Java,, C# Training Jammu
THIRUVANANTHAPURAM, Jan 31 (Agencies): He sat outside the Secretariat in Thiruvananthapuram for everyday for 800 days. On Wednesday, Sreejith's ended his protest, but only after having his statement on his brother's custodial death recorded by the CBI.

Sreejith's protest was in demand for exactly this - a CBI inquiry into his brother Sreejeev's death in police custody. And the inquiry finally came, after about three weeks of an outpouring of public support for Sreejith and his cause - both online and in the real world.

Sreejeev had died in May 2014, just days after he had been taken by the police in Parassala. The cops had picked him up on suspicion of involvement in a robbery. Police had at the time said Sreejeev had committed suicide by ingesting poison.

But Sreejith did not buy it. Accusing the police of murdering his brother, Sreejith began his sit-in protest outside the Secretariat, demanding action against the two police officials responsible for his brother's death.

Two years after Sreejeev's death, Kerala's Police Complaints Commission said that the police version of events was false. The probe concluded that two police officials had thrashed Sreejeev in the police station and had then fed him poison.

The Police Complaints Commission recommended to the Kerala government that the probe into the custodial death be handed over to a Special Investigation Team (SIT).

The Kerala government paid Sreejith and his family Rs 10 lakh as compensation. And in November 2017, the state government told him that it had asked the CBI to investigate the case.

But the CBI refused to take the probe forward on the grounds that considering the ruling of the Police Complaints Commission that Sreejeev's death was custodial, there was no exceptional circumstance for it to investigate it.

Sreejith persisted. In mid-January, his protest caught public attention. This led to an outpouring of support. A number of public faces, including film stars like Nivin Pauly, Prithviraj and Parvathy Omanakuttan, expressed their support.

Kerala Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan met Sreejith and his mother on January 14, and promised that he would again write to the CBI to take up the case. It was only after the CM's promise came through that Sreejith went home.

News Updated at : Thursday, February 1, 2018
Comment on this Story 

Top Stories of the Day  
Charges, counter-charges after mishap
SRINAGAR, Jan 31: Allegations and counter allegations followed after the under-construction Budshah Chowk-Rambagh flyover suffered partial damage after 36 ton ‘unfixed rafter’ fell down on a crane when earthquake of 6.1 Richter scale shook Kashmir valley this afternoon. Official sources said that an unfixed rafter weighing around thirty six tons which was put on pedestal two days ago fell down on a parked crane near Aloocha Bagh area due to strong earthquake. Dr Tanveer who is Health Safety a
> At least 7 civilians killed in firing by security forces in 6 weeks
> Army submits its version to police on Ganowpora killings
> Separatists call for march to Shopian on Feb 2
> Sopore shuts against murder of goldsmith
> ‘Chilai Kalan’ ends without snowfall in plains
Other Stories from Web  
Find us on
Weather Report
Shridev Sharma
Mata Vaishnodevi | Matavaishnodevi | Mata Vaishno Devi
Electric Blanket | Electric Bed Warmers | Electric Under Blankets | Electric Heating Blanket
Web Design Jammu, Web Design Company, Ideogram Jammu
Home | Contact Us | Kashmir Times | Kashmir Times E-Paper - Jammu | Kashmir Times E-Paper - Srinagar | Dainik Kashmir Times | Jammu Prabhat
Copyright 2013 Kashmir Times Group. All rights reserved. Powered by Ideogram Technology Solutions Pvt. Ltd.