Shutdown, restrictions in Kashmir on Burhan's death anniversary

MAJID NABI. Dated: 7/9/2019 12:24:29 PM

SRINAGAR, July 8: Separatists shutdown coupled with stringent restrictions imposed by authorities in parts of Kashmir valley including Srinagar and south Kashmir marked 3rd death anniversary of Hizb-ul-Mujahideen (HM) Commander, Burhan Muzaffar Wani on Monday.
Wani who was carrying a bounty of rupees ten lakh was gunned down by the government forces along with two of his associates during an encounter at Bamdoora village in Kokernag area of South Kashmir’s Anantnag district on this day three years ago.
Around 100 civilians were killed and hundreds others blinded or maimed during clashes as the Kashmir valley erupted with protests and strikes for six months in the aftermath of Wani’s and accomplices killing in 2016.
Authorities clamped curfew in Tral Township, the native village of slain Hizb Commander and its adjoining villages while stringent restrictions under section 144 were imposed in parts of Srinagar city to prevent people from holding protest rallies.
However, the situation as per reports remained comparatively calm with no untoward incident reported from anywhere even as the authorities sealed Wani’s native village and graveyard in Tral area of south Kashmir.
Shutdown and protest call was given by Joint Resistance Leadership headed by Syed Ali Geelani, Mirwaiz Umer Farooq and Mohammad Yasin Malik to commemorate Wani on his 3rdanniversary.
High speed mobile was reduced to 2G in Srinagar while same was completely snapped in south Kashmir districts as a precautionary measure. 4G internet was restored in Srinagar city later in the evening.
All the shops, business establishments and fuel stations remained closed while authorities ordered closure of educational institutions throughout the valley. Traffic remained off the roads that severally affected inter-district transport connectivity in Kashmir valley.
However, skeletal movement of private vehicles and cabs could be seen plying on deserted roads amid foolproof security arrangements.
Government and semi-government offices, banks and courts recorded thin attendance as employees due to non-availability of public transport and strict restrictions could not make it to their respective workplaces.
Octogenarian separatist leader, Syed Ali Geelani and Chairman of Hurriyat, Mirwaiz Umer Farooq continued to be under houses arrest while JKLF Chairman, Mohammad Yasin Malik continued to be lodged at New Delhi’s Tihar jail.
In order to prevent people from holding rallies and marching to Wani’s graveyard at Tral, the authorities had made adequate arrangement of security in major townships including Anantnag, Pulwama, Shopian, Kulgam and Srinagar.
However, Kashmir University students of Zakura campus took out a solidarity march this afternoon to pay tributes to slain Hizb Commander, Burhan Wani on his 3rd anniversary.
Authorities had blocked all the entry and exit points in old city while additional companies of police and paramilitary CRPF were deployed on roads to thwart any attempt of protest.
Police had blocked roads with spools of concertina wire and iron barricades to prevent public movement as a precautionary measure.
Reports reaching ‘Kashmir Times’ said undeclared curfew was imposed in major townships of south Kashmir including Pulwama, Anantnag, Kulgam and Shopian districts.
Traffic movement on Srinagar Jammu National Highway reports said was nominal with unprecedented security arrangements to maintain law and order following annual Amarnath Yatra.
In north and central Kashmir, people observed complete shutdown in response to the call given by Joint Resistance Leadership, although the situation remained comparatively calm, however an uneasy calm confined people to four walls of their houses.



Indian History... Read More



Daily horoscope